We have one last opportunity to stop HB2800. The Oregon House of Representatives just approved a blank check to fund the boondoggle known as the Columbia River Crossing (CRC). Our last hope is to stop the Oregon Senate from moving forward. We must make the Senate hear the voices of the grassroots rather than the crony capitalists.
See below for a list of Senators to call right now and talking points you can use to pursuade them!
Why should you be concerned about CRC? It is clear that a vote for HB2800 is a vote in support of a gas tax in 2015. Just four years ago, Oregon taxpayers approved the largest gas tax increase in our history, yet by 2015 we will be out of money because the CRC will suck every dime out of the current fund. There will be no other way to pay our share of the $3.5 billion, but to pass another gas tax or see all other transportation projects come to a stand still. This will result in creating pressure statewide to increase the gas tax in 2015. Are you concerned yet? The proposed tolls will be a drop in the bucket compared to the real impact taxpayers would feel at the gas pump.
Talking points to share with the Senators:
· A vote for HB 2800 is a vote for a gas tax increase in 2015.
· There is no justification for an emergency clause on this bill. It is a blatant attempt to hurry the bill through without letting it get public scrutiny.
· The bill should go through the Ways & Means Committee to shine light on the true financial impact it will have on each and every citizen in Oregon.
· Oregon is once again willing to trade permanent Oregonian jobs for the prospect of a few temporary ones that are not likely to even go to Oregonians.
· There is clearly no financial plan or accountability if the project has cost over-runs. In a Congressional Research report issued on 12/26/2012, it is clearly stated that the federal funding for transportation and mass transit projects will be inadequate as of 2014, yet Oregon is still heading blindly down the path of no return.
Please call every Senator listed below RIGHT NOW!
Co-Chair Senator Bruce Starr 503-986-1715
Senator Herman Baertschiger 503-986-1702
Senator Brian Boquist 503-986-1712
Senator Betsy Close 503-986-1708
Senator Ted Ferrioli 503-986-1950
Senator Larry George 503-986-1713
Senator Fred Girod 503-986-1709
Senator Bill Hansell 503-986-1729
Senator Tim Knopp 503-986-1727
Senator Jeff Kruse 503-986-1701
Senator Alan Olsen 503-986-1720
Senator Chuck Thomsen 503-986-1726
Senator Dou Whitsett 503-986-1728
Senator Jackie Winters 503-986-1710